2020 is undoubtedly the peculiar year for anyone around the world. For the first time in my life, it is excellent staying at home! The key is keeping your own space and a lot of green plants around you! I less travelled after March 2020, and the further I have gone would be coffee shops in downtown.
- Back to my home town and taking care of mum. Most people will think that I am back to Bandung due to pandemic, but you can read my full reasons here. I am happy that I stayed longer instead of moving to another city to be closer to my family and support my mom’s business.
- Travel to the UK and Europe for work and pleasure. In the first three months before Europe lockdown, I spent my time wandering the UK, particularly Oxford and Leicester. After that, I travelled to Portugal to meet my mom to have a pilgrimage to Fatima, Lourdes and other eleven cities in Europe for two weeks. During the early pandemic, travelling was so dreamy. Sometimes, we left cities a day or a few days, and after that everything is closed or in a lockdown mode.
- Learn how to produce video and animation film. It was part of my work at HCV Network since we have this project in Kapuas Hulu, West Kalimantan (see more details here). Both videos will be available anytime soon this year. I will let you know later when it is ready :)
- Learn how to use PowerPoint to communicate a story. Recently I become more into and amazed by many wonderful things you can do with PowerPoint to do effective communication and visualisation – I did some video for work using PowerPoint here and here! You might want to read this Forbes article on one good reason to use a powerful PowerPoint.
- Use Notion to maximise my productivity. After reading tons of review on Notion now, I start to use it for a personal project. I might try to migrate some of my notes from Evernote and OneNote. There are a few pro and cons of why using Notion. If you are doing handwriting with your tablet, then it may be not suitable for you. But I do like its sleek and simplicity followed with organisational systems that make my notes look excellent!
- Apply for more opportunities. Many people who know me closely probably know that I am looking for a PhD for the past few years. This 2020 might be the most productive one when working and applying various PhD applications. Wish me the best of luck! I also open to any collaboration project and fellowships as long as it meets my study interest. I hope to scale up myself to do more practical conservation effort using an interdisciplinary approach in various landscape contexts.
I wish you more incredible things in 2021!
Photo is Monument of the Discoveries (Padrão dos Descobrimentos) next to Tagus River in Lisbon, Portugal. I spent quite some time to enjoy the riverine scenery before off to Fatima on one hour-ish bus drive last March 2020. You can recognise Vasco da Gama, Ferdinand Magellan, and the rest of the 33 figures from the Discoveries’ history if you are lucky.
My Self Review 2020 first appeared on www.felicialasmana.com
Was blogwalking around and came across this blog. Sounds like you’ve had an amazing year! Wishing you all the best of luck for the PhD application (or maybe by this time you’ve secured one?). Also I loved the clean layout of your blog and you must’ve got lots of compliments on how good your writings are. Salam kenal! :)
Thanks so much for visiting and the compliment! 2020 was one of a kind indeed. 2021 is a lil’ bit different in a good way too. I am hoping to update my story soon as well. Salam kenal juga yaaa 😉